Skip to content

Curricular Practical Training

You can apply for Curricular Practical Training ("CPT") for off-campus work opportunities (even unpaid work opportunities) if both the placement and the student are eligible for the benefit.  
Check with your program if it's eligible for Curricular Practical Training. If your program of study is eligible for F-1 students to use (CPT), and the work opportunity is considered integral to the established program of study. “Integral to an established program of study” is defined by F-1 Regulations as:

- An internship or practicum required for a course offered in the MCPHS Course catalog for which the student will earn academic credit;
- An internship or practicum that is required for all students in the program for degree completion; or
- An off-campus placement arranged by MCPHS to pursue a graduate thesis or dissertation research that cannot be accomplished on-campus and is required to complete your degree program. The thesis or dissertation proposal must be approved by the student’s academic committee before CPT be authorized.

An internship must meet an academic (i.e. curricular) requirement to qualify for CPT authorization.

If you have an internship or employment opportunity that offers “excellent” or “relevant” experience to your major field but is not considered integral to your established program of study as defined above, you will need to apply for and be approved for Optional Practical Training in order to accept that position.
If your internship or practicum placement qualifies for CPT, you will become eligible to apply after you have been lawfully enrolled Full-Time in a degree program for one full academic year (excluding time spent in an intensive English program). You must also be maintaining valid F-1 status at the time of your CPT application.

Exception: Some graduate students in F-1 Status may be exempt from the one full academic year requirement if their graduate program requires immediate participation in an internship or practicum.

F-1 Students enrolled in an English Pathway/Bridge Programs are not eligible for CPT.
Please contact Immigration & International Support Services for more information. 
If eligible, CPT can be authorized during the academic year or during the summer but must be specified as either Part-Time or Full-Time.

Part-Time CPT Authorization
If your eligible internship or practicum placement requires you to work 20 hours per week or fewer, then you will be authorized for Part-Time CPT. You must maintain a Full-Time Course Load if you engage in Part-Time CPT during any required semester of study.

Full-Time CPT Authorization
If your eligible internship or practicum placement requires you to work more than 20 hours per week, then you need Full-Time CPT authorization. If you are engaged in Full-Time CPT during a required semester of study, you must carry a Full-Time Course Load (or its equivalent as determined by your academic department at MCPHS).

Please note: If you are authorized for a total of 12 months of Full-Time CPT or more, you will not be eligible for Optional Practical Training. Periods of Part-Time CPT authorization do not affect OPT eligibility.

For more information visit Immigration & International Support Services.