Skip to content

Employment & Internships

As an international student in F-1 Status, you are allowed to work on campus. For off-campus employment, you will need work authorization and needs to be related to your field of study. Most internships or curricular placements performed off-campus require authorization. Work authorization may also be approved if you are facing severe economic difficulties beyond your control. To find out more information about CPT, OPT or economic hardship visit Immigration & International Support Services.
It is important to understand the options and limits of your Immigration Status and employment eligibility before accepting any employment in the U.S., as it is tied to maintaining lawful Immigration Status. Do not proceed with any off-campus internship or any other off-campus opportunity without consulting with Immigration & International Support Services first. Unauthorized off-campus employment or internship could have a negative impact on an F-1 student's immigration status.